Custom Beaded fountain pen
If fountain pen lovers would like to co-design the colours for a beaded fountain pen, including collaborating on creating the pen blank, we would love to talk. We have collaborated with several people to create special pens and it has been a wonderful experience. Shown here are a few photographs of the custom pens we have made to date.
We can start by making a pen blank in the colours of your choice. Then there is a variety of options regarding the beading. Here are some prompts to get your creative ideas flowing:
Pen blank material:
An in-house pour in the colours of your choice. (Di will do her best to make a blank that matches your ideal and will send photos of the blank before we start work on the pen.)
Position of beads:
On both the cap and the barrel, or on either one.
Types of beads:
Di uses tiny Miyuki Delica beads and Miyuki rocailles. These are from Japan and are the most consistent in size and gloriously coloured.
Colours of beads:
There is a wide (though not infinite!) range available! In general, the options are:
- Bold or subtle colours. Shiny or matt.
- Interspersed with our without metallic beads (gold-plated; rose-gold colour; silverish-coloured; or bronze).
- If you would like to include some metallic beads, they could be interspersed at random or in a spiral pattern.
- Silver-lined (which provides an opaque, shiny finish), or colour-lined (which has a colour down the middle of the bead and a translucent outer layer, which means that you can see through part of the bead to the colour of the pen blank beneath it.)
- One or two colours for a sophisticated effect; alternatively a range of different colours for a bold effect.
- Bold or subtle transitions between the colours (NB: a gentle transition is not always possible).
- Another thought: these options are for a spiral pattern of beads however Di can also weave a fairly simple pattern or design into the beads. (Nothing too complex as the limited space available would make a complex design look very pixellated. This has nothing to do, of course, with Di being a relative beginner at bead weaving!) A bead-woven pen takes more time and is therefore more expensive, but the result is astounding.
If you would like to order a custom beaded fountain pen, please contact us via our Contact page on this website or via our Instagram address: @stanfordwoodstudio.
African Miyuki Magic fountain pen. The end(s) can be flat end, rounded, or slightly conical.
Jowo #6 in polished steel, or Bock #6 in polished steel or bicolour (shown in these photos i.e. steel and gold-plate. Please select Fine, Medium or Broad in the check-out. (Please DM me if you need an Extra Fine.)
Standard international fountain pen converter (supplied) or ink cartridge.
(NB: Many of these can be customised, though we need to maintain the straight-sided shape to allow for the inclusion of the beads): Total length (closed): 144 mm (5,7″). Length (pen only, no cap): 133 mm (5.2″). Diameter at widest point (excl. cap): 15 mm (0,58″). Visible length of grip section: 30 mm (1,2 “). Diameter of section at narrowest point: 10,8 mm (0,43 “). Cap thread: 14 mm (0,5″).
Within South Africa, we offer a flat rate of R125 for couriering smaller items.
International shipping is via a courier or express postage with a tracking number and should take around 10 – 20 working days. Pens are securely packed and insured.
Please use the checkout to see the shipping cost for your location.